Museums and Other Locations Where You Can Visit Reed (Pump) Organs
- The Conklin Antique Organ Museum, located in Hanover, Michigan, has a collection of about 80
- Sauder Farm and Craft Village in Archbold, Ohio (near Toledo) has several reed organs on
the premises. Plan a visit to the church and schoolhouse exhibits - often one of the costumed staff will be
performing on a reed organ! They're currently placing their museum into their web site; hopefully I'll be
able to provide links to the actual organs in the future.
- The Organery, a bed and breakfast located in Nova Scotia, has a collection of over 100
antique reed organs for viewing or playing. (NOTE: It appears that this B&B was taken over by
new owners in late 2006 and is now called "Baker's Chest", and it's not clear whether or not the organ collection is still
there...best to call ahead!)
- The Brattleboro Museum & Art Center in Brattleboro, Vermont has a permanent display of
- The America's Shrine to Music Museum at the University of South Dakota contains a reed organ
display in their Lewison Gallery, and a Vocalion Reed Organ in their Graese Gallery.
- The Victorian Reed Organ & Harmonium Museum is located at Victoria Hall, Victoria Road, Saltaire, West
Yorkshire, England. Curators Pam and Phil Fluke have a collection of instruments, catalogues, posters,
advertisements, etc. and also have some reference books, sheet music, and recordings for sale. The Museum is
open Sunday to Thursday from 11 am to 4 pm.
- The Kenneth G. Fiske Museum of the Claremont Colleges in Claremont, California has a
three-manual reed organ by Mason and Hamlin, Boston (c. 1889). A recent acquisition is
an 1866 Estey Cottage Organ with a rare third pedal which operates a clockwork tremolo
mechanism. The museum currently has 15 reed organs listed in their descriptive instrument checklist
- The Templeton Music Museum and Archives is located at Mississippi State University, just
outside of Starkville, Mississippi. Among their holdings is an Aeolian Orchestrelle, c. 1900, which is a player reed organ.